As a no-kill facility, we are overwhelmed with requests to take in animals and cannot possibly take them all, nor do we have the staff to respond to the large volume of requests.
We can recommend the following websites to try for more information on shelters and rescue groups in your area. They are:
- www.pets911.com - where you can find a list of shelters and rescue groups in your local area via your zip code.
- www.petloverscompanion.com - which lists rescues from Northern Virginia to MD.
- www.petfinder.com - where you can find other shelters as well as list your animal for adoption.
- www.akc.org - for a list of rescue organizations.
- www.aspca.org/adoption/shelters/ - for a list of shelters in your area.
Additional suggestions are:
- Contact your local animal control for placement assistance. They may also have a list of rescue organizations in your area.
- Take a photo of your animal and place the photo, along with the animal's age, weight, gender and personality, as well as your contact information on a piece of paper and post it at Petco, Petsmart, local veterinarian offices, grocery stores and churches.
- Most importantly, spay/neuter your animal. There are nearly 4 million animals euthanized in shelters across the country each year. In addition, there are many more animals living outside and on chains, exposed to extreme weather conditions, starvation and/or neglect.
Unfortunately, no-kill shelters do not have space to help all of these animals due to their very nature of not euthanizing a healthy animal just to make room for another potentially "more adoptable" one. At the BAAC, we only open up space when an animal gets adopted. Some animals we may have for a year or more before we find their forever home.
- If you need assistance to spay or neuter your animal, please call Spay Today at 304-728-8330 for information on reduced-cost spay/neuter services.